Sunday, October 30, 2016

Dia de los Muertos



This year I'm using the theme Dia di los Muertos for my Halloween decorations!  I made a yard flag, quilted some table toppers, planted Marigolds, orange is the desired color. bought a skull yard stake!  I Love the colors and the idea that I celebrate my family who are in heaven.   This theme has brought back memories of my dad,  mom, my moms parents and all my aunts and uncles who have died.

* Mom had a wonderful sewing talent and encourage me to always try for my best
* Dad always encouraged my faith and was proud I became a Christian Day School Teacher
* Uncle Harold's outlook encouraged being positive, gave me juicy fruit gum when I was little
* Aunt Elsie was gracious and made the BEST cookies
* Aunt Arlene was support and had an awesome laugh and made my day joyful
* Grandma Steinert was a talented baker and crocheter
* Grandpa Steinert was an awesome builder.

 I was so blessed to have them in my life and the celebration of Dia di los Muertos helped me remember so many happy times, strong bonds to my family and joyful times with family.



So today I decorated skull cookies!  Thanks to Linda Hoyt Divine for the skull shaped cookie cutter.
 I should have purchased black icing.  Mixing colors does not make black, believe me.  BUT it is what it is and this is what it is this year.  I had a great time! 




2 comments:

  1. This is my family, too! Adele, you are so clever and talented. Thanks for sharing your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been great fun making all the decorations and the cookie decorations aren't up to speed yet. Need to practice but then I eat the cookies..not such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete